- Palm Was Here!
- Battery Drainfix Conklin Systems

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Any way to export/save faxes to card?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mango

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Any way to export/save faxes to card? Reply with quote

Hi, I am currently trialing CS fax and have to say it is an amazing app! Very Happy It is quite amazing to actually be able to receive faxed on my treo! Shocked

However I was wondering if there is any way to save or export the faxes out of CS fax? Question For example, I would like to save a copy to my card and possible view or edit it with a 3rd party image viewer like Acid Image or Resco Viewer? Is this possible? Also what format are the faxes saved as? I know it is in ram, so it must be some type of palm db, but could they be converted to tiff , bmp or something else that would be compatible with other viewers? Being able to save received and sent faxes to card, ability to view/edit them via 3d party viewers, and also ability to sync them with desktop conduit are my main feature requests! Again thanks for developing such a great piece of software!
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently CS Fax stores faxes in an internal, compressed format, but we will be supporting a card format, and it is initially planned to be Tiff.

As for exporting to another viewer, gads Shocked, what for? Actually, I wonder - check your CS Fax varion number (in the About box.) Are you running 3.0.0 or 3.0.1?
mango

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm trialing version 3.0. I didn't not know there was a version 3.1! Embarassed

The main reason why I was interesting in being able to view faxes via 3rd party viewers is b/c sometimes I like to integrate received faxes etc as part of presentations on my palm. Also, if the future plan is to support Tiff on the card, wouldn't that mean any palmos image viewer with Tiff support (which is almost all of them now) would be able to view the fax by default without too much hassle? Thanks...
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.0.1 is an engineering release that happens to be what's on the OTA download address at http://csfax.com/getitnow for direct downloads to the Treo. As a result, some people currently have 3.0.0 and some have 3.0.1. However, 3.0.1 includes a new fax rendering engine that looks much better, especially as you zoom out, and it uses an in-house developed proprietary algorithm that is ideal for fax viewing, and should look better than a normal viewer. I wondered if you were seeing the older or newer image and if that was a factor in wanting an external viewer. (The new renderer should be basically as good as it gets.)

We're looking at supporting Tiff export because it helps with various usage scenarios. (Like your presentation situation.) Tiff isn't entirely standard, but presumably any Tiff-viewer would work. That said, you shouldn't need a viewer if you have CS Fax. You lose annotation, copy, and (obviously) sending the fax from a view, and that's just with the current release. If you feel you need a third-party viewer for something, we'd like to know what, because our goal is to have CS Fax be a complete, self-containted fax solution.

We're not against interoperability, in fact completely the opposite. There are some great Palm apps that complement CS Fax, and we've already opened up our 3rd party API discussions accordingly, but we do want it so that anyone who purchases CS Fax gets a fully functional solution that covers all the core Fax needs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the insightful response. I definitely will try out the OTA vesion 3.01 when I get the chance!

Also, I totally understand your and support your assertion that CS Fax should be total fax solution, and also appreciate that you've openned up the dev API's. Just to illustrate, however, how 3rd party app interoperability could be so powerful, let me just give you the senario which I had today:

I had to receive an international fax document today but was on the road. Consequently, the only solution was to find local Kinkos document center where they charge $$ to receive faxes. I had to edit and resend the fax asap as well as email it to a relative. I only wish I could have done all this with CS fax on my Treo and saved a lot of time and money. Instead of going to a local Kinkos, I could have received the fax on my Treo. I would have tried to copy/paste if possible to text editor like DTG and then try to resend editted document via CS Fax API from DTG (assuming this is how the API would work). I also would have saved original Tiff image of the fax and emailed it to my relative who needed a copy as well b/c of signature needed. ALL this could have possibly been done on the TREO! Interoperability like that would make it a very powerful app imo!

Cheers!
mango

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops! Embarassed That was me above! Very Happy
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I would have tried to copy/paste if possible to text editor like DTG and then try to resend editted document via CS Fax API from DTG (assuming this is how the API would work).

Everything above you can basically do now, just with CS Fax, except this part. This is a little problematic, depending on what you're thinking. An incoming fax is an image, not text, so you wouldn't be able to paste it into DTG and edit it (other than as an image/painting.) At least in CS Fax you'd be able to annotate it before sending it back out.

Converting a fax image into a DTG format falls under OCR (optical character recognition) software, which is a bit of a trick. Also I'm not sure that there are any OCR apps available for the Palm platform.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current CS Fax engineering build (3.0.4) now supporting exporting and importing from storage cards, and the export format is TIFF-F compliant, meaning you can use the saved files in other applications that support TIFF.

Anyone interested in helping test this feature should drop us a note.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Import and export is now available in the 3.1.0 open beta release. You can learn more and get a copy in this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Palm Community Forum Index -> CS Fax All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: