- Palm Was Here!
- Battery Drainfix Conklin Systems

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Virtual Modem or external modem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Virtual Modem or external modem Reply with quote

CS FAX use the Virtual Modem Treo 650 for connection? or external modem.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both. Most people are working with CS Fax over the virtual modem in conjunction with their cell phone service, but it's just as happy running over a cable, a Bluetooth connection or an IR link to an external modem as well.
quine
Palm Explorer

china.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: internal modem of treo650 doesn't support fax? Reply with quote

Dear Quine:

Thank you for contacting palmOne Technical Support. My name is Kendy and I will be assisting you with this issue. I understand that you information on how to use your device for fax using the Bluetooth technology of your Treo 650.

Quine, unfortunately, the Treo was not designed to be a mobile faxing solution, and therefore faxing is not supported directly on the Treo. However, some users have had limited success employing third-party Palm OS faxing software such as Mark/Space Fax for Palm OS or InStep Fax for Palm OS.

Since the Treo was not designed to send or receive faxes, however, you must use these third-party solutions at your own risk, and we cannot guarantee that they will work. Contact the third-party software developers for the latest compatibility, product feature, and support information.

palmOne is unable to provide technical support for third-party applications. We mention the software for informational purposes only.

Please also note that palmOne does not warrant that the Treo communicator is capable of faxing, and hence does not provide product support for this function.

Faxing and your wireless service plan
GSM phone networks have separate circuits for voice, data and fax calls. The ability to dial fax numbers is usually related to the ability to dial data calls; in other words, if you subscribe to a data calling service you can usually dial fax numbers too. Contact your wireless service provider for more information.

We hope this issue has been resolved to your satisfaction. A Customer Satisfaction Survey will be emailed to you very shortly. Please take time to provide us with your feedback about this support experience as it will help us in our on-going effort to continually improve our services.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. You can also find troubleshooting articles and frequently asked questions at:

http://kb.palmone.com

To learn more about palmOne handhelds, please visit our support web site at:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/

Thank you for choosing palmOne.

Sincerely,

Kendy

palmOne Technical Support

While every effort has been made to ensure the advice or information provided to you by our Technical Support Center is correct at the time of transmission, palmOne does not accept any responsibility for errors or omissions. Any advice or information provided by palmOne to you via any form of communication is not a guarantee that it will correct your problem; it is only offered as assistance to you. You are advised to back up all data stored on your product on a regular basis and always before changing software configuration or, when possible, before sending the product for repair. palmOne will not be held responsible for any loss, damage, faults, loss of data or other reactions suffered as a result of advice or information supplied. No written advice or information sent to you by palmOne may be resent, distributed or posted on any media accessible to the public (including, but not limited to, any Internet site or bulletin board) without palmOne's prior written consent.

--- Original Message ---

Dear Sir / Madam,

I cannot find the virtual fax & serial port bluetooth service on my treo650 (unlocked gsm version). Either I cannot find any bt/IR/usb supported modem driver on your website. I've checked the corresponding authorized services in treo650 properties window on PC. But it still doesn't work even though I turn on/off the DUN function on treo650.

Before I used the fax or serial port bluetooth service of t39 mobile phone and based which I can send or receive fax via virtual fax software like Winfax on my notebook. It will be really appreciated if you could show me on how to deal with it.

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

===============
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, a interesting response. And not entirely wrong, depending on what you are trying to do, as there are 2 different ways to potentially use a Treo 650 as a Fax modem, since a Treo is both a PalmOS device and a cell phone.

One is a solution like CS Fax, which is a fax solution that runs on PalmOS. In effect, CS Fax is "Winfax for PalmOS", and you create faxes directly in CS Fax. CS Fax uses the Treo's modem itself, directly, or it can use any external modem supported by PalmOS over an IR, Bluetooth or serial cable connection.v

The other theoretical solution would be to use the Treo 650 like a cell phone, as a modem, in conjuction with some other program like Winfax running on your laptop. Unfortunately, the Treo 650 doesn't support this even though most cell phones do. There are architectural issues with the 650 that make this difficult or impossible over IR and serial, and Palm didn't even built the fax profile into the 650's BT stack. So when they say the Treo 650 can't fax, this is what they're referring to.

And for what it's worth, CS fax on a Sprint Treo 650 has far more than "limited success" - it works great. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Palm Community Forum Index -> CS Fax All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: