Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Feature request thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Feature request thread Reply with quote

Have an idea for a killer feature? Have some aspect of Online where you think, "this is the greatest, if only it did X"?

Well we'd certainly love to hear it! We've already received a couple great ideas from existing Online users, so if you've got an idea for a feature or a change you'd like to see, please let us know. While we can't promise to add every feature posted, it can only help. We don't read minds; if you don't tell us, we won't know. Wink
DocD

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: SSH Reply with quote

I think it would be a great idea if you add SSH to this; I prefer using SSH over telnet for security reasons, and one of the servers I use REQUIRES it.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSH is definately on the new features list. We're also looking at Telnet-over-SSL, which some feel is more secure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Feature Request Reply with quote

One of the applications that I use CS Online for is uploading software to an 8052AH BASIC based microcontroller. These chips parse the incoming program one line at a time and require some time to do that. With the PC based communications programs that I've used I could specify a "Pacing Character" that the program would wait for before sending the next line. To use CS Online I set the pacing to 10 so that I can be sure that every line gets handled correctly but they don't all take that long. With a "Pacing Character" the total upload time would be significantly faster.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's practically a type of file transfer protocol. Could you show an (ASCII) example? How are lines terminated? What defines a line? Is there a line length limit? Are there any other microcontollers that support this live-upload parsing scheme? Is there any error correction mechanism or checksum, or do you have to rely on the connection being solid?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: 8052 AH BASIC Reply with quote

You are correct it in your statement that my feature request is a type of file transfer protocol. It's a form of flow control for ASCII files. In Microsofts Terminal program the three choices for flow control are, Standard, which uses whatever the default handshaking is, Character at a time, which either waits a specified amount of time before sending the next character or waits for the last character to be echoed back and Line at a Time which can be setup to either wait a specified amount of time or wait for a Prompt String before sending the next line.

Below is part of one of the source code files that I use regularly:

1 CLOCK 1
5 STAT=080H
10 DNE=0
16 XBY(0C003H)=98H
17 XBY(0C001H)=08H+STAT
18 XBY(0C002H)=08H
20 GOSUB 70
30 Z1=0

The lines are terminated with a Carriage Return Linefeed pair which is what defines the end of the line. The maximum line length in that the processor will handle is 79 but that's a limitation of the interpreter not the communications protocol. There is no checksum or error correction as part of the protocol. I don't know of any other microcontroller that uses this protocol but I have worked with some industrial equipment that uses it. As I recall the Yamaha Robotics controllers use this type of text transfer flow control.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 8052 AH BASIC Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
In Microsofts Terminal program the three choices for flow control are, Standard, which uses whatever the default handshaking is, Character at a time, which either waits a specified amount of time before sending the next character or waits for the last character to be echoed back and Line at a Time which can be setup to either wait a specified amount of time or wait for a Prompt String before sending the next line.

Which Microsoft Terminal program are you referring to here? Checking Hyperterminal, I found line pacing, but not Line at a Time waiting on a prompt.

If anyone else has any other microcontroller "upload protocols" (so to speak,) please let us know.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: 8052 AH BASIC Reply with quote

Microsoft Terminal used to ship with Windows and NT. Microsoft apparently no longer supports it. I've continued to use it because it has all the features that I need but doesn't have the awkward user interface of HyperTerminal.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I'm still not sure what program you're referring to. We still have Windows 95 and NT 4 machines for testing that I checked, and Hyperterminal is what's included even as far back as Win 95C.

Perhaps the About box of your application would have some clues?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Terminal Reply with quote

The program is simply terminal.exe. The about box doesn't work on either of the two machines that I currently have it on because somewhere along the way I lost the help files. I just checked a Win98 machine and it's not on that one but my admittedly fuzzy recollection is that the executable could be found in the windows directory of Win95 installs even though there was no shortcut to it on the start menu. Would you like me to e-mail you a copy? If so where should I send it?
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I went back and checked again and there's no terminal.exe (or even term*.*) anywhere on 95 or NT either that I can find. But I would like to see the file send functionality in action. Perhaps you could grab a screen shot? (Alt-PrtScn)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Screen shot Reply with quote

Well, clearly I don't remember the origin of the program. I've been using it for years, it runs on Windows and I know that it came with something. I suppose it's possible that it came with Win 3.11.

[img]
Quest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Screen shot Reply with quote

I have a screen shot but I'm a forum newbee and have no idea how to post it.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just send it to support@conklinsystems.com and we'll get it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Palm Community Forum Index -> CS Online All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: