Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Q&A's we've received about Fax

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Q&A's we've received about Fax Reply with quote

To kick things off, here's a summary of some of the questions we've received so far:
Quote:
Where can I download it from?

CS Fax is still in (re)development.

Unlike most Palm apps, not all modems support Fax capability, and even when they do, they may not support both send and receive. In fact, different Treo models use completely different hardware, so Fax support often has to be coded per-device. This is a factor in CS Fax's development. For an idea of what support for various devices is like, check the Fax supported device list.

Quote:
Can I use Fax with the Treo 650?

Mark/Space discontinued Fax long before the Treo 650 was released. Needless to say, Fax on the Treo 650 would be great and so is very high on our list of new platforms to add support for.
taz24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Fax update Reply with quote

I use fax with my Kyocera 7135 and it works fine no problems. what updates are you going to make and when will these updates be out
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fax update Reply with quote

taz24 wrote:
I use fax with my Kyocera 7135 and it works fine no problems. what updates are you going to make and when will these updates be out

Actually, the biggest update that we had planned for Fax was mostly new device support, (with the #1 pick being the Treo 650,) as there have been a number of new devices and options that have come out since Fax was discontinued.

The drawing package that Mark/Space included with Fax, Sketch, we did not acquire the rights to, and we'll be replacing that. Sketch however was a very minimal app and so there's a lot of room for improvement. In the rewrite we'll be looking at adding better drawing facilities, in particular to support the kinds of things people tend to need to fax. (For example, signatures.)

Beyond that, if you've got a feature you'd like to see, by all means let us know! Fax in particular is almost more popular overseas than in the US, so just hearing how you use Fax will help us know how it's being deployed and where we can improve it.

I can't give you a timeline for when the updated Fax will be released. We will probably have an Early Adopter program for Fax as well, so when you that, that will be the precursor to the general release.
mitchecp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: What about the Treo 600? Reply with quote

I understand that many have adopted the Treo 650 but I would encourage you not to abandon any plans for supporting the Treo 600 which still has a large number of loyal users who would be more than happy to puchase a fax program for the device.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We plan to support as many devices as possible, including the Treo 600. There's a great deal of demand for a 650 solution so that's at the top of the list, but that's by no means the entire list!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were soliciting features, so here goes. Stupidly, I bought my Treo 650 not realizing that it didn't have fax capabilities. I think what I, and a lot of other people, want is a way to use the 650 as a fax modem for our laptops. So we wouldn't necessarily being faxing directly from the 650, we'd be connecting it either w/ a cable or via bluetooth to our computers, and faxing through the 650.

Is this even technically possible?

Thanks,

Scott
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
You were soliciting features, so here goes. Stupidly, I bought my Treo 650 not realizing that it didn't have fax capabilities. I think what I, and a lot of other people, want is a way to use the 650 as a fax modem for our laptops. So we wouldn't necessarily being faxing directly from the 650, we'd be connecting it either w/ a cable or via bluetooth to our computers, and faxing through the 650.

Is this even technically possible?

As cell phones go that's actually something of a different issue, and is under your carrier's control. Some carriers go out of their way to ban any use of the phone from a laptop, even so far as disabling/blocking it in their versions of a device.

Whether the 650 can function as a modem I can't say. Perhaps through the Bluetooth profile?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been reading conflicting things about this. Apparently the 600 and 650 do not have a modem chipset that supports fax commands. I'm sure you are already aware of this. At least I hope you are! Smile That seems to preclude it's use as a wireless fax modem for a laptop. Is that correct, or is that an incorrect assumption? I'm also assuming that because the modem doesn't support fax commands, you guys have to emulate the fax stuff in software. So what I'm wondering is, assuming the wireless carrier supports it, can we use the Treo 650 as an outboard wireless fax modem for our computer if your Fax software is loaded on the Treo?

Thanks,

Scott
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several sharp Treo 650 users have found that, using some non-standard settings with old Mark/Space Fax 2.0, that MS Fax does in fact work on the 650, and I have a Fax from one of them here on my desk, so yes there is a Fax modem in the 650 that is confirmed to work.

CS Fax won't enable laptop faxing capability though. That's an issue on the PC side, again assuming your carrier allows access to your 650's modem at all.
sirKris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Just wondering... Reply with quote

I am in England using a GSM Treo 650 and just successfully sent a fax to work. I tried to call my separate fax number but it goes dead before the Treo even gets a chance to pickup. I then took out my Orange sim and put it into my Nokia Communicator 9500 and it receives and sends faxes as usual. (I'm greedy, I know, two of the top phones on the market!)

Anyway, my question is, how come it is so easy on my 9500 Communicator to make and receive faxes without running any extra weird software? Is it just built in to the hardware and why is it so difficult to make the Treo 650 behave as well?

Fingers crossed!
Kris
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, great test! Definately lets you know your sim is good to go for faxing!

In a nutshell, the Treo's phone app has taken over the phone, keeping it on the voice line. Once we can get the phone app to let go (so to speak) all the receive code is already there. We're still working on this and there's a good chance it will eventually work.

In the meantime, you do know that CS Fax supports external faxmodems, right? Try switching over to Bluetooth and pair with the 9500.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Palm Community Forum Index -> CS Fax All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: