- Palm Was Here!
- Battery Drainfix Conklin Systems

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Destiknation of log File

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byron#81

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Destiknation of log File Reply with quote

Hi There,

GREAT PRODUCT! Couldnt register for the full version quick enough! Finally I can use my Palm (LifeDrive) to record the data from my datalogger fitted to my RACING MOTORCYCLES!

My question, Is it possible to change the destination that the LOG file is written to ? I understand you can change the name ofteh log file, but how do I set where it is written to on the Palm ?

Cheers For an amazing STABLE package.

Regards,

Byron.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The location of log files in CS Online is currently fixed to /PALM/PROGRAMS/Online, which is a Palm standard organization (and it actually does some extra work to ensure that's a valid directory.) That said, it's not a bad idea and I've added it to the new features list. Another thought that came to mind, considering your application, was auto-incrementing the log file name in the event of a name collision.

Your application is great! Not that we're biased. Very Happy

Tec
('74 CB 750 & '76 CB 550)
Byron#81

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Destination of Log File Reply with quote

Auto-increment of the filename is ideal, At the moment after each track session i use filez to move the log file to my memory card, then rename the file with track name, or a date/time stamp. This has to be done after every session that I log. Auto-increment and thr ability to write the log file directly to another location or directly to another drive (my removeable card means I just have to hit the log button before and after each track session and can then record multiple sessions without having to muck around as much.

After 15 laps of Phillip Island Raceway dont really feel like playing with my stylus that much!

We use the Palm as a serial datalogger, and CS Online is the first program ive found that actually works and is stable (even at 250kph!) The data recorder I use in the bike is VERY VERY small (only has a serial output and no logging ability) to have a notebook computer on the bike is as you know just not practical and self-contained serial loggers are mega dollars (if you can find one suitable) The Palm was a relativley cheap option and I can view the data on teh plam after the track session. I use the LIfeDrive in a metal case (not sure how much protection the case will provide if I do go track surfing, but thik it has to be better than the leather case, might have to submit a Palm Was Here!

I can submit a couple of pics if you like ?

Regards,

Byron.
Australian NakedBike Championship.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At the moment after each track session i use filez to move the log file to my memory card, then rename the file with track name, or a date/time stamp. This has to be done after every session that I log

How big are the log files? I'm not following why you're moving them to the card when you have a LifeDrive, or is it just because you want them there in the first place (and there's no volume specification in CSO at the moment.)

Also, assuming that given a numeric filename, we auto-increment instead of overwrite, is there any reason that Online's Log Header option doesn't work for you in terms of date/time? Also have you made use of the Annotate Log feature? It's especially handy in HTML logging mode as it's color highlighted.

Curious who makes the data logger itself? And what does the data coming off of it look like?
Quote:
I can submit a couple of pics if you like ?

Oh heck yes! And yes, I was going to ask if we could run your story in Pilot Was Here. That's totally hot! Wink
Byron#81

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Data Frame and destination for CS Online Log File Reply with quote

Hi Again,

Well log file size varies according to the track session, for a 20 minute session a text file is about a 1,000KB. (Thats about 100 hits per second and can be slowed done but makes my curves nice and smooth.)

The device i have logs RPM and AFR (AIR fuel Ratio) and device error codes. Im working on getting some analog values and digital values into the serial data stream, so I can log things like brake application, throttle position, gear position, and start/finnish of a lap (trying to input a trigger pulse from an IR lap timer.)

The serial data stream at the moment looks like this:

74C6,07ED,0EBE,0000,0000,0000,0000,0000,0000,0000,2205,0300

Each comma seprated value corresponds to a quantity produced by the data logger. (The 0000's are unused at this point) The device im using is made by Tech Edge in Australia its called a WideBand 2CO. Peter at Techedge is a bike man himself and the whole unit is the size of a credit card! The O2 sensor is bigger than the device!

details can be found at :

http://www.wbo2.com/2c0/default.htm

I can get the device to send the stream in binary, but Hex is easily translated and the stream is viewable in CS Online just fine.

I would like to write the log file directly to removeable SD card in the LifeDrive, so after each track session I can leave the Palm mounted to the race bike and just remove the SD card (or replace with a blank card for the next day at the race meeting) then I can plug the SD memory card directly into my laptop at the track and analyse the data using excel or another software pack im working on. That way I dont have to hotsync the palm or beam the file to work on it. Just plug the SD memory card in and start to use the TXT file that CS Online now produces for me. Just that the SD slot is removeable media, and the LifeDrive internal harddisk has to be put into "DriveMode" and a USB cable connected to transfer the data. I havent played around with annotation or HTML as yet, but im assuming ill be able to view the data stream live to a Web Page in blazer or something ?

If I can autoincrement the file name with with a date or naming convention I can do the following:

RACTRACKNAME_(YY/MM/DD)_SESSION_#_(HH:MM:ss).TXT

PHILLIPISLANDRACEWAY_06/01/17_SESSION_1_11:09.45.TXT

autoincrement:

PHILLIPISLANDRACEWAY_06/01/17_SESSION_2_12:47.25.TXT

Autoincrement is no big deal, I can rename the files after i get them from the Palm, the big advantage for me is to be able to specify the destination that the file is written so I dont have to manually re-locate them.

I will put up a post in "Palm Was here" any chance to show of my bikes!

Cheers!

Byron.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Data Frame and destination for CS Online Log File Reply with quote

Byron#81 wrote:
Well log file size varies according to the track session, for a 20 minute session a text file is about a 1,000KB. (Thats about 100 hits per second and can be slowed done but makes my curves nice and smooth.)

I can see why you want to target the card slot then, at a gig a session. However there may be a technical issue. SD card writing is actually pretty slow. We even added optimizations specifically to speed up card writes. With 6KB/sec incoming, we'll just have to see if it keeps up. It may help to have a fast SD card.

That's a spiffy logger. But they need better links for PalmOS software on their site. Razz

Quote:
I havent played around with annotation or HTML as yet, but im assuming ill be able to view the data stream live to a Web Page in blazer or something ?

Now that I've seen your application, it may be less relevant. HTML mode really shines with binary data and data that's both incoming and outgoing, since it highlights direction. Your data is already clean ASCII and one-way, so might as well move it into Excel.

Quote:
If I can autoincrement the file name with with a date or naming convention I can do the following:

RACTRACKNAME_(YY/MM/DD)_SESSION_#_(HH:MM:ss).TXT
PHILLIPISLANDRACEWAY_06/01/17_SESSION_1_11:09.45.TXT

autoincrement:
PHILLIPISLANDRACEWAY_06/01/17_SESSION_2_12:47.25.TXT

Something like that. Was thinking more along the lines of auto-incrementing at the end of the filename, so if the file ended with xxxxx_012, then the next log would automatically switch to xxxxx_013.
Byron#81

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: RE: Destination of log file Reply with quote

The log file for about 20minutes is about 1,000 Kilo Bytes, not Mega Bytes. One Gig of data poor old excel would poop itself!.

About a 1,000 KiloBytes of Data imported into excel ends up being about 11 MegaBytes by thr time I have graphed and run my formulas on the data. The text file I capture using CS-Online is only a 1,000 KiloBytes so its quite manageable and easily transferred to an SD card. I have heard that the LifeDrive cant use a SD card bigger than 512mb the one Im using is only 128mb.

Yeah the TechEdge Plam software is quite old. I am yet to be able to get it top work on teh lifedrive, as soon as it connects it resets the palm device. Tried serial fix, still dont work. Im playing around writing an app at the moment. CS-Online is meeting my needs at the moment though.

The device is capable of sending out Binary data streams,see:

http://www.wbo2.com/2a0/logger.htm

The auto-incrementing at the end of teh filename as you suggest would be fine ie xxxxx_012 and then increment to xxxxx_013. When selecting the destination that it writes the file a "browse" feature would be handy rather tha having tho key in the required path.

Regards,

Byron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Palm Community Forum Index -> CS Online All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: