- Palm Was Here!
- Battery Drainfix Conklin Systems

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

Palm Treo 700p

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaymez

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Palm Treo 700p Reply with quote

I receive the following communications error when I try to go on-line using CS Online VT100 terminal emulator v2.2.0 on my Palm Treo 700p:

Error opening port
(serErrAlreadyOpen)

Do you have any suggestions?
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it could be true. Is that a Verizon phone? Intellisync loves to take over the connection and hotsync any time it wants, regardless of what's running.
Jaymez

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Palm Treo 700p Reply with quote

So what's the fix if there is one?
Jaymez

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Palm Treo 700p Reply with quote

BTW: Yes it is a Verizon phone.
mrlion
Palm Explorer

blank.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Palm Treo 700p Reply with quote

Easy fix: just figure out what other program(s) is(are) making network connections. In my case that is usually chatteremail, so I just shut it down and then CSOnline works fine on my 700p.[

quote="Jaymez"]I receive the following communications error when I try to go on-line using CS Online VT100 terminal emulator v2.2.0 on my Palm Treo 700p:

Error opening port
(serErrAlreadyOpen)

Do you have any suggestions?[/quote]
Jaymez

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Palm Treo 700p Reply with quote

How do you find out which programs that are using the serial port? What about SMS? How do you shut that down? Is there any fix for this program that will automatically shut down any application using the serial port?
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any app you have that communicates via the Treo is a candidate. On a Treo, both TCP/IP (internet) apps and fax/data calls are running over the same hardware, so a modem app running should pre-empt the phone from trying to establish a data connection. (Since the chipset's in use.)

However in using a 700p recently, we watched Verizon's Intellisync app kick in and try to sync while CS Fax was using the modem. Whether this is because Intellisync's out of control or it's something related to the 700p, we don't know. Our experience with Intellisync on the Verizon 650 was that it's very invasive and very aggressive at polling given it's default settings.

These things said, CS Fax actually does issue a network disconnect command just before opening the modem port, which covers it on the 650. We're not aware of a utility that will tell you which app currently is holding a serial port open. There is a feature of PalmOS that lets you do a 'delayed close' of a port, the idea being that that would let you run a communications program, switch away to some other Palm app for a minute, then come back without having lost your connection. That could be what's happening too. Normally that feature has a time limit to it though.
David

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: serErrAlreadyOpen Error Reply with quote

I have a Treo 650 and have the same error message. Using Online 2.2.0 and trying to use wireless modem on the Treo. I am stumped what to try and would appreciate some help. Thanks, David.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update for this thread - we have a new Sprint 700p in house, firmware 1.08, and it worked with CS Online perfectly out of the box with nothing further needed. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Palm Community Forum Index -> CS Online All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: