- Palm Was Here!
- Battery Drainfix Conklin Systems

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

entering control characters?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcodington

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: entering control characters? Reply with quote

How do I enter a control character on the send line? Defining a macro works, but entering a ^ sends that character (5e hex). Quoting it didn't seem to change anything. I would like to place a string starting with control-A on the send line. The ctl button didn't do anything either, maybe I don't understand what it is supposed to do. The instructions didn't seem clear on this subject. Thanks.
bcodington

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: bug or feature? Reply with quote

I just discovered that if I turn off the "send line" the CTL button will now work. It seems like it should function the same way for characters on the send line.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's a bit of a complex issue. Control codes aren't ideal because some, are used by the Line Input mode itself, like Return. Ideally, what we'd like to do is support CS Online's macro processing on Send line. That would allow one to send escapes, control sequences, binary data, you name it. Unfortunately, the escape codes used by macro mode are also used by many other host environments, in particular, Unix hosts.

Trying to get a complex escape code sequence right is work enough, but trying to get one right where some codes are interpreted by the terminal, others by the host, and others not at all, can be a real nightmare. Since a great many people use CS Online in combination with Unix/Linux shells, this would be a real problem, and so the decision currently is to not do any macro processing on the buffered input line. Just for triple jepoardy, also consider that Grafitti units can require multiple strokes per character.

All of these approaches have some merit, so we certainly welcome discussion on the topic and reports from people on how they use CS Online day to day, to set direction for the product going forward. In fact buffered input itself was a user request.
Bill Codington

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I am trying to do at the moment is send configuration commands to a bluetooth module that start with control-A. I don't have a desparate need to do this with a palm but I am trying to get familiar with csonline.

How about this... If the send line is on, the ctl button places the control char value in the buffer. This then releases the button (like in standard terminal mode). You could have a menu setting about whether the terminal receives these characters or they are transmitted, if necessary. Right now the ctl button doesn't seem to do anything in this mode.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a situation we revisit from time to time, and your suggestion is one of the options we're looking at.

In the meantime, if you're configuring an adapter, does the configuration change greatly? Or could you define one or more macros (which have control character codes) and then have handy auto-config options on the macro menu?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Palm Community Forum Index -> CS Online All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: