- Palm Was Here!
- Battery Drainfix Conklin Systems

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

CS FAX API/SDK for Developers looking to fax

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: CS FAX API/SDK for Developers looking to fax Reply with quote

Exists a SDK of CD fax? I need that my app send fax. Laughing

When we can buy CD FAX?
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an API within CS Fax for third-party faxing but we haven't really worked on it. What kind of data (text/images) do you need to fax?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to send text
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a text sending third-party API that could be used. It's not something that would happen right now, but we can look into once CS Fax is shipping.

If anyone would use a Fax API we'd like to know about it, so we can see how much interest there is in it.
drmikegreen
Palm Explorer

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Fax API Reply with quote

I've written several API interfaces for Pocket C and Palm Pascal (for PalmPrint, BtPrint Pro, and PrintBoy). Once the Fax API is available, I'd like to do the same for it. Generally, I've posted them for free use on the OrbWorks and PalmPascal websites.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd be great, certainly if we publish an API then we want it to be as approachable as possible. Especially on the Palm platform where there are a lots of hobbiest programmers making useful tool-type apps a clean API would make things more approachable.

That said, any initial API would have to be considered 'in flux' for a while, while people work with it and we get some user feedback, so I wouldn't want anyone to devote too much time wrapping it. A little time to evolve will save all involved some grief. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CS FAX 3.0 has documentation of the API. It is indispensable for my, I need to send text of my application

Old API mask/space functions in CS FAX ?
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the release of CS Fax we actually have been planning on bumping the API priority up a notch, so now's the time. We can re-enable the old legacy MS API's but we haven't yet tried them in-house. However from the looks of them, they must be replaced.

That said, grab yourself a forum ID and you get get in on the ground floor of the API work. Anyone else that's interested in being able to route text or images to CS Fax please join in.

There are several levels of 'fax' API support we're looking at:

• CS Fax text (formatted) - a call that allows you to insert the equivalent of a CS Fax text entry, including the formatting

• Full fax imaging - a call that allows you to send us completed page images

• Fax 'resource' input - you call CS Fax and insert pages into the CS Fax fax store, which can then be resent, merged, etc.

Because of the potential size of an incoming fax, we're looking at any of data on heap, a database pointer, a predefined database name, or a filestream.

Any revised API will have the option, (in a send) to either pass the fax name and number, or let CS Fax prompt for it.

Because of the complexity of CS Fax, the one thing I'm pretty sure we won't be able to support is a background/invisible launch. Basically, you'll need to package up your fax and give it to CS Fax. You can, however, pass information such that we'll switch back to you once we're done with the fax session.

We've rebuilt a version with the older API re-activated. Anyone interested in working with it please register here on the forum and drop us private message.
Tec
Conklin Systems

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitions from the legacy APIs (actually, already altered to be more ARM friendly):

Code:
typedef struct {
   // For testing parameter block validity and version
   UInt32   cookie;            // Caller must set to pwAppCmdDialCookie
   UInt32   version;         // Caller must set to pwAppCmdDialVersion
   UInt32   callingCreatorID;   // Caller sets to its own creatorID
   UInt16   previewFirst;      // Boolean: true to preview before sending
   UInt16   returnToCaller;      // Boolean: return to caller after done sending?

// Info normally user entered on main form
   char   dialName[faxDialNameSize];
   char   dialNumber[faxDialNumberSize];
   char   text[1];      // IMPORTANT: Struct sized to actual size. Text to send
   } faxAppCmdSendFaxTypeVersion1;

Constants:
Code:
#define faxAppCmdSendFaxCookie   'COOK'
#define faxAppCmdSendFaxVersion1   0x01
#define faxDialNameSize         (40)
#define faxDialNumberSize      (40)
const UInt32   faxAppCreatorID = 'CSFX';
#define faxAppCmdSendFaxVersion1   sysAppLaunchCmdCustomBase     // Launch code

Notes from the legacy API:
Quote:
/* Caller should allocate memory, then set the owner to the system.
* Set cookie and version fields to the specified constants
* - set callingCreatorID to the creator ID of the app making the call
* - set phoneNumber to the string to dial, or "" to just go to dial pad
*/
drmikegreen
Palm Explorer

usa.gif
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: API discussion Reply with quote

Because the API calls may come from all sorts of compilers/runtime systems and Faxing is very resource intensive, I suggest the following:

1) Follow the now "standard" library call structure supported by the Palm OS with an entry point table and C-language compatible call definitions.
2) Where several pieces of information need to be communicated to CSFax, either pass them as separate parameters with a limit of 2 or 3 parameters defined for any API call or use the library "work area" that's set up when the library is opened.
3) Probably assume that the application will create a Fax with the help of the API that will go in some CSFax database, then, at some point, pass control to the CSFax application to actually do the faxing and maybe get control back via a re-launch. Alternatively, the user may manually launch CSFax and manually re-launch the application later. For reception, the API would provide access to the CSFax database and some "helper" functions to provide the fax information in a useful format. In particular, these might be matched to the needs of a printing package like PrintBoy and, in fact, CSFax might interface directly to PrintBoy for printing.
See <http://www.ppcompiler.org/articles.php?lng=en&pg=551> for one example of a shared library interface to TealSoft's TealPrint. I have other examples for PrintBoy and PalmPrint if anyone is interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Palm Community Forum Index -> CS Fax All times are GMT + 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: